Diocesan Bishop Born in Marathon, Ontario on June 28, 1949, Bishop Douglas Crosby is the oldest of seven children of
 

Our Bishop

Diocesan Bishop

Bishop-Crosby

Born in Marathon, Ontario on June 28, 1949, Bishop Douglas Crosby is the oldest of seven children of Natalie and David Crosby.

Bishop Crosby attended elementary and high schools in Marathon, Ontario. He entered the Oblates of Mary Immaculate in 1968, making first profession in 1969, and final profession in 1973. He graduated from Carleton University (St. Patrick’s College) in Ottawa in 1972 and holds a B.A. in Philosophy and French. He completed his Bachelor of Theology at St. Paul University in 1975 and his Master’s in Pastoral Studies (Counselling) in 1976.

Bishop Crosby was ordained a priest on September 27, 1975, and was appointed assistant pastor of the Co-Cathedral of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Labrador City, 1976-1981. He served as vocation director, coordinator of provincial services, Pastor of St. Joseph’s Parish, and eventually Provincial Superior of St. Peter’s Province of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. As Provincial, he was elected President of the Oblate Conference of Canada. He also served as Director of the CCCB Missions Office and English-language General Secretary of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.

He was appointed bishop on November 4, 1997. His Episcopal ordination was held on January 2, 1998 at St. Joseph’s Parish, Ottawa, and his installation at the Cathedral in Labrador City on January 4, 1998, feast of the Epiphany.

On August 6, 2003, Bishop Douglas Crosby, OMI, was appointed Bishop of St. George’s Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador. He was installed during a ceremony at the Cathedral of the Holy Redeemer and Immaculate Conception, Corner Brook, on September 12, 2003.

In a decree signed May 31, 2007, Pope Benedict XVI established the new Diocese of Corner Brook and Labrador which came about as a result of the joining of the Diocese of St. George’s and a portion of the Diocese of Labrador City-Schefferville. On September 9, 2007, this decree came into effect on the occasion of a ceremony held at the Cathedral of the Most Holy Redeemer and Immaculate Conception.

Bishop Crosby now comes to us in Hamilton Diocese as our ninth Bishop.